Thursday, May 21, 2009

End the Fat Talk!

Hey all! Just wanted to throw this link out here for anyone interested. Caitlin at Healthy Tipping Point did some posts yesterday on ending fat talk, you know: when females talk about how fat they feel after eating, in their jeans, etc. She's set up a page on her (awesome) blog where she'll have all this set up for good because she got such a great response.

I think this is a really important topic. Women do tend to talk negatively about their appearances (myself included) and we're not only hurting ourselves but also our children (or any child around us really). There's no reason to say mean things about ourselves, if we can't love ourselves exactly how we are how do we expect anyone else to?

I don't have a daughter (someday I hope) but I see all the toys, commercials, and shows that are aimed at all my friends' kids and it makes me sad. My friend Sarah has a no Bratz dolls rule for her daughter because they are such bad examples (in her - and my- opinion) and I fully intend to have the same rule. I think that there is really no reason to show the idea of beauty (and even more so sex appeal) to little kids, just let them be!

Sarah (not my friend - though I so wish I knew her!) at LoveIn My Tummy has mentioned how she always makes sure to give her daughters a non-appearance based compliment whenever she gives them an appearance based one so they know they have value beyond their looks (though her daughters are some of the cutest kids I've ever seen). I think this is such a great idea.

So, check out Caitlin's site and read all the great comments from all her readers and be sure to give yourself the compliment you deserve!

1 comment:

  1. I really loved Caitlin's post too. So true. Fat talk is something that I'm still working to lessen/end.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog