Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Water, Baby

Did anyone else have a Water Baby growing up? I got one for Christmas one year. I totally loved it but hardly ever put water in it, and the material it was made out of smelled funny.

Um, anyway. I have a point here, promise.

So, I've realized that I need to drink more water. Up until recently I had a major soda problem. We're talking multiple cans a day. But a few months ago I really started thinking about what I was doing.

First of all, soda is expensive! Cases of Coke are around $7 right now at Wal-Mart (we switched to the generic brand a while ago, but that's still over $2). Second, there are a lot calories in a can of Coke which would be way more enjoyable to consume in solid form, in my opinion. Third, soda can make you feel like crap. You get an energy boost from the sugar but then you slump, hard. Finally, that ingredient list? Scares me.

So, I've been trying to cut way back on the soda and drink other things. Real quick let me explain something: I can't totally quit soda. I get really bad migraines and the only things that ever help are a soda and/or Excedrin Migraine. And I'm pretty much guaranteed to not sleep for two days if I take EM, so I try the soda first.

But I've been doing really well with the water thing. I have a glass here at work that is just shy of 20 oz and I usually make it through 2.5-3 of those. So, yay me! I need to work on it at home though, I'm still way too inclined to reach for a soda or tea, but I am down to 1 soda a day, if even, on most days.

But I've gotten a little encouragement here recently. Jen, The Prior Fat Girl has been talking about water consumption lately and has a little contest going on to drink only water for the rest of the month. I'm going to try my best to do this!

Also, Amanda, Another Prior Fat Girl, is getting into this too by giving away an awesome reusable water bottle. And I could totally use this because I do not have one that is BPA free, so I'm totally entering.

So, what do you usually drink? Any tips for getting in more water?

*******
Also, Jen is giving away a subscription to Health magazine, so go enter that too.

3 comments:

  1. I have a food baby. Does that count?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am doing Jen's challenge too. I'm a little nervous about it but know it will be a good challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this.. http://www.camelbak.com/~/media/Images/products/Rec_S08/270x340/Medium_LtGray_270x340.ashx

    I drink two bottles a day. I think the trick for me is that the ... straw, for lack of better word, has caused me to have a crazy oral fixation with it. I can't keep that thing out of my mouth.

    O:-)

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog