Friday, July 10, 2009

Book Review: Such a Pretty Fat

Such a Pretty Fat is Jen Lancaster's third book. In it she chronicles her efforts to go from someone who "sweats when they eat" to a healthier, fitter person.

I really liked this book. It wasn't as laugh-out-loud funny as Bitter is the New Black and Bright Lights, Big Ass, but Lancaster's honest wit and sarcasm come out perfectly in this. Diet and exercise are topics that are often not handled well (they are either a beat-around-the-bush or a let's-make-you-cry kind of thing quite often) but I think she handles it perfectly. And the scene where she weighs herself at home had me cracking up, mainly because of the honesty of it (read the book, you'll love this part too).

I think part of the reason I liked this so much is because it fits well with where I'm at in my life. I'm trying to really make fitness an integral part of my life and to make better food choices, so I could totally relate to what she was going through. And I absolutely love how she repeatedly mentions that food is not bad, it's not something to fear or avoid - food is what allows us to live, to run around with our loved ones, to dance around our house to our favorite crappy 90s song (I never do this, nope, never). I loved that she pointed this out, and pointed out how diet companies often push this idea and then pry on the fear that their clients have about food by pushing tons of "better" food on them, aka the food made by their company.

So, I'm really glad I read this; it's a really great book. I'm looking forward to Pretty in Plaid, but it will probably have to wait until after the move since I have to switch libraries.

1 comment:

Search This Blog