Sunday, April 4, 2010

C25k Week 1 = done

So I officially finished week 1 on Thursday. I ended up changing my plan from running Monday and Wednesday and making it Tuesday and Thursday instead because I was fighting a migraine all day Monday and ended up not making it to the gym.

Days 2 & 3 were still a bit of a shock to my system, even after day 1 and the bonus days last week, but I could feel that day 2 was slightly easier and day 3 was even more so. By Thursday I was really looking forward to getting to the gym and getting going. It's still totally mental and I spend a lot of the time talking to myself and reminding myself that I can do this - but it's starting to feel more natural. Plus one thing that really surprised me is how awesome I've felt the next day - totally thirsty but still awesome. I know that it's still small amounts of running so it seems a bit strange to think that it's having such an impact on me already, but I really swear it is. I've felt happier and more energized the next day and just a lot less blah.

I started week 2 on Saturday and it went well, I'll talk more about it next week. Also, I decided while on the treadmill on Tuesday that when I finish (although I kept saying "if" and having to correct myself to "when") week 3 I'm going to order a Bondi Band. I've seen these popping up lately on quite a few of the healthy living blogs I read and they've gotten really good reviews. I cut my hair a couple weeks ago and it's too short for a ponytail, so I've been having to do pigtails and a headband, but I've just got some thin elastic bands so I still end up with a lot of hair in my face. These Bondi Bands apparently stay in place the whole time you're running, are quite thick - so they'll really keep the hair out of my face, and they wick the sweat away too. The only problem now is deciding which one to get.

Finally, I was pretty bored the other night and was playing around with the flair on Facebook and randomly looked up C25k and 5k flair and found this:

I added it to my board but then got to thinking about the fact that it says "training." It just seems so odd to me that I can say I'm "training" for anything. I even questioned whether I could actually say that. But then, being the nerd that I am, I looked up the definition of the word training, and this is what Dictionary.com says:
Train - verb - "to make (a person) fit by proper exercise, diet, practice, etc., as for an athletic performance."
So, technically I really am training for a 5k. I'm also training to be fit, healthy, and (I've learned this week) happier. So I guess that training badge really does fit. But it still seems weird to me that I can say that - given my past feelings toward all things health and fitness. But it's a good kind of weird.

That's all I've got for now, so see you back next week with an update on week 2. And if you celebrate it - Happy Easter!

I'm trying to turn myself from a self-proclaimed non-runner into a pavement-pounder by my first 5k this summer - and I'm doing it with the lovely Breanne of "Bella Vita". Check out my announcement post here and Week 1 here plus check back weekly for my training updates as I make my way through the Couch to 5k program. And if you're a runner with any tips I'd love to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog