Thursday, June 18, 2009

A Look at my Morning

Have a look at my lovely morning. We woke up about a quarter to 5 with horrible thunder and bright flashes of lightening - lovely. By the time I got up a little later it had calmed down, but the weather channel said more was coming. I tried to check with the local news channels but every single local station was off the air, I had the 2 stations from just inside the Indiana border, but we're just on the edge of their area.

So I left the house knowing I was probably going to hit some storms. It wasn't too bad in our area but I could quickly see clouds and lightening up ahead.

This is what I see at first.


Then this. And lots and lots of lightening.


Then this. Do you see the slightly darker gray there in the middle of the sky? That's a cloud, a very long and scary cloud. I watched many lightening blots split right through that cloud.

Right after this is got incredibly dark, like couldn't even see my hands dark, and then it started to pour. I had my wipers on the fastest speed possible and could not see anything out in front of me. If I looked down toward the ground I could just barely see the lines directly in front of me. I ended up slowing way down, like barely 20 and sometimes less, turning on my hazards and finally at one point attempting to pull off. Except I had no idea where I really was and couldn't really see the side of the road, so I didn't want to pull too far. So I sat on the side of the road for a few minutes while my car got battered with rain, a little hail, and horrible wind and, total truth here, I just prayed that it would stop soon and I'd be ok.

Finally it let up just enough that I could see a little more and I started going again. I quickly passed a stop sign ahead sign and realized that I was farther than I had thought. Luckily once I turned onto the next road it had stopped raining so hard but there were small limbs everywhere and a few flooded areas. The poor cows I drive by did not look happy (side note, one of my favorite Jerry Seinfeld jokes is about his leather coat and how it can't get wet and then how cows don't freak out and go up to the farmhouse yelling "let us in! We're suede!!").

Thankfully by the time I made it to the interstate it was much clearer and I only had to deal with a little rain and wind for the last 20 minutes of my drive. Right now it's getting darker again, I hope we're not about to get slammed again!




















2 comments:

  1. Wow. I can't imagine storms like that. However, I love the Seinfeld joke. Husband and I are always referencing Seinfeld and The Office moments/jokes.

    Hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man..glad it let up and you got to where you were going ok!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog